Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Our Day at the Eye Doctor

So, today was not so fun....we had to take Maizi to an opthamologist to get her little eye checked out. For those of you who haven't seen her lately her right eye has been going in so she looks cross-eyed. It's so sad. Anyway, the nearest doctor's office couldn't see her until the end of September so we had to go the other office clear out in Paradise Valley (great since gas costs a fortune now). So we finally get there, then they take us back & have her look at this flashing light, then the Dr. comes in and asks us like 2 question then calls her assitant back in to put some drops in her eyes. I thought we were going to have to get a straight jacket to keep her still for that...she was kind of ok with the first eye, but when she went for the second eye, forget it!! She wouldn't open her eye at all & she was burying her face in her hands. So, I had to hold down her arms & legs while the nurse tried to pry her eye open just a sliver to get the drop in. Uggghhh!!! Then she says "She sure is strong. Now we just need to wait about 20 minutes or so." WHAT!!! Obviously she's never had to sit with Maizi in a doctor's office before. That 20 minutes turned into like 40 & during that time she managed to run all through the office, behind the receptionist desk, pull their blinds up like 5 times, and she kept opening the door. Even the lady out at the front desk said "I think I'll go see if they're ready for you yet." Good thing Sione was with me or I seriously would've gone crazy. Finally they call us back & then check her eyes again..."We need to put one more drop in her eye" says the nurse. OH MY GOSH!!! This is the never ending appointment! The doctor comes in & has her look through these lens-like things while she's shining a light in her eye. She keeps saying "stronger, stronger, stronger" So, in the end we find out that our little Maizi is extremely far-sighted & will need to wear glasses all the time except for when she' sleeping. When she told us, Sione asked "Do you make any glasses that are super-glued to their heads?" :) No kidding...I have no idea how I'm going to get her to keep those things on. It'll be interesting!! So, now we have to go shopping for glasses....another fun day. :)

6 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Oh, poor little Maizi! :( However, I bet she'll look super cute!! :) Lots of little kids have to wear glasses, so maybe after she figures out she can see better, she'll leave them on!! :)

hansen family said...

Sorry that you guys had to go through that!!! I HATE when doctors make you wait FOREVER!!!!! I know that she will look so cute and who knows, maybe she will think they are really cool and keep them on. Good luck =)

salena said...

I wonder how many glasses you are going to go through in the next year? That really stinks about her eyes, but I bet she is just going to look even more adorable(is that possible?) with glasses!

Fig Family said...

Oh, my gosh!! I can totally picture her in the office running around!! You described it, and her so well!! She is soooo funny!! Do they make glasses out of unbreakable steel? That girl is going to shred those things!!?? Just kidding!! I bet she loves them because she will be able to see life and the world completely different!! Good luck!!
C2 Figs

Ana said...

that is so scary i had no clue .....i can't imagine her keeping glasses on! and even if she does i would imagine them getting broken ...j/k lol...well she is gonna look so cute and in glasses!! Evan wears for school or reading but it makes him look like "chicken little" it's so cute i'll have to blog a photo with christian and Evan in their glasses so Maizi can see! her cousin's wearing glasses too!! Encouragement! for her..;) maybe ;0)

Terri said...

She will look so cute with glasses!